Obtaining Residency and Work Permit in Turkey
1- Residency Permit
The foreigners who possess certain conditions in accordance with the Law on Foreigners and International Protection may obtain residency permit in Turkey.
The application of residence permit could be made personally by the foreigner as well as this could be done via a PoA/proxy through her lawyer acting as the legal representative in Turkey.
Residence permits shall be issued by the governorates, upon approval of the Ministry.
There are six types of residency permits as listed below;
- - short-term residence permit;
- - family residence permit;
- - student residence permit;
- - long-term residence permit;
- - humanitarian residence permit;
- - victim of human trafficking residence permit.
As the short-term, long-term and family residence permits are the most preferred types in daily practice:
A short-term residence permit may be granted to foreigners who;
- - arrives to conduct scientific research;
- - owns immovable property in Turkey;
- - establishes business or commercial connections;
- - participates in on-the-job training programmes;
- - arrives to attend educational or similar programmes as part of student exchange programmes or agreements to which the Republic of Turkey is a party to;
- - wishes to stay for tourism purposes;
- - intends to receive medical treatment, provided that they do not have a disease posing a public
- - health threat;
- - is required to stay in Turkey pursuant to a request or a decision of judicial or administrative authorities;
- - transfers from a family residence permit;
- - attends a Turkish language course;
- - attends an education programme, research, internship or, a course by way of a public agency;
- - applies within six months upon graduation from a higher education programme in Turkey.
- - does not work in Turkey but will make an investment
- - within the scope and amount that shall be determined by the Council of Ministers, and their
- - foreign spouses, his and her minor children or foreign dependent children.
- - is citizen of Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Short-term Turkish residence permits shall be issued for one year period; moreover, this period can be extended afterwards via applications for renewal.
The foreigners who fulfil the conditions below may obtain long-term residence permit:
- having continues residence in Turkey for at least eight years;
- not having received social assistance in the past three years;
- having sufficient and stable income to maintain themselves or, if any, support their family;
- to be covered with a valid medical insurance;
- not to be posing a public order or public security threat
Furthermore, providing that the main applicant provides the necessary conditions, his/her spouse and children may obtain the family residence permit. It is granted for a maximum two years period. Main applicant (sponsor) requires to have been residing in Turkey for at least one year on a residence permit, have medical insurance covering all family members, a monthly income in any case not less than the minimum wage in total corresponding not less than one third of the minimum wage per each family member.
As Ketenci&Ketenci we can review your specific situation and advise accordingly on the Turkish residency permit application and follow up the whole process on behalf of you in Turkey.
2- Work Permit
Turkish work permits substitute residence permits according to Article 27 of Turkish Law on Foreigners and International Protection.
In the below mentioned situations, all foreign persons have a right to apply for different types of work permits:
- - The foreign person who will start working for a legal entity in Turkey (eg.company) or for apublic institution may obtain for a Turkish work permit for maximum a period of -1-year. This period may later be extended afterwards via applications for renewal.
- - The foreign person who is a shareholder and at the same time a manager at a Turkish limited company, and/or a board member of a joint stock company in Turkey as well as an active partner of partnership limited by shares has a right to apply.
- - The foreign person already having a long-term Turkish residence permit or a work permit earlier obtained for period of 8 years may also apply for an indefinite work permit. In other words, they will benefit from the same rights with Turkish citizens after the transition period, excluding the rights to vote, to stand for election and to enter into public service, with no obligation of compulsory military service.
- - The foreigners having Turquoise Card may apply for indefinite work permit.
As Ketenci&Ketenci we can review your specific situation and advise accordingly on the Turkish working permit application and follow up the whole process on behalf of you in Turkey.
Ketenci & Ketenci | ILP